Queen’s Platinum Jubilee

19th March 2022

Queen’s Platinum Jubilee

The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee - Host Your Own Street Party


Street parties are great ways to bring the community together

On 6th February this year, Her Majesty The Queen became the first British monarch to celebrate a Platinum Jubilee, marking 70 years of service to the people of the United Kingdom, the Realms and the Commonwealth.

Events and initiatives will culminate in a four-day UK bank holiday weekend from Thursday 2nd to Sunday 5th June to celebrate this unprecedented anniversary. The bank holiday will allow communities and people throughout the United Kingdom to come together to celebrate the historic milestone.

The four days of celebrations will include public events and community activities, and national moments of reflection on The Queen’s 70 years of service. In addition, initiatives including The Queen’s Green Canopy and the Platinum Pudding competition will create a lasting reminder of The Queen’s Jubilee.

The UK has a long history of organising street parties to celebrate national events. Why not organise one for your neighbours for the Platinum Jubilee? 

Short Guide On How To Host a Street Party

If you want to organise a Platinum Jubilee street party of your own, you can get all the information you need from the Government website. While it’s simple enough to arrange an event, your local council may require you to fill in an application form to host a party in your street. It is legal for anyone to hold a street party from Thursday 2nd June to Sunday 5th June 2022.

First of all, it is important to discuss the idea with neighbours and gauge their interest. You will need to start planning it 2-3 months before an event unless planning an informal quick street meet. The deadline is 31 March 2022. You can find tips and ideas for a successful street party at www.streetparty.org.uk or on the GOV.UK website.

Organising street parties just for residents and neighbours is relatively simple and does not require a licence. It is important to inform your local council about the event on time to allow plenty of time for it to be approved. You should provide the council with the date and time of the event, whether or not you want to close a section of the road, a list of any properties or businesses affected and if you have consulted your neighbours. 

You don’t need a risk assessment to host a street party, and you won’t need a license either – unless you plan to sell alcohol at the event, in which case you will need to check whether you need a Temporary Events Notice – short-term permission for licensable activities, covering events of fewer than 500 people.

It is a simple process when it comes to temporary road closure for a street party. All the council needs to know is where and when the road closure will take place so they can plan around it and enforce a temporary traffic regulation order. This is usually done through an online form which you should aim to complete six weeks in advance.

There is no requirement from the central government to get public liability insurance for a street party, although some councils may recommend it.

One-off events like street parties are not considered a food business, so there is no need to have a licence to serve food.

Once you have completed all the organisation, just spread the word about the party. Send out invites to neighbours and put posters up locally to help ensure a good turnout.

The government has also launched its new Platinum Jubilee website, including an interactive map that will display all the events and activities taking place right across the UK. The map is open for anyone to add their events, and everyone is encouraged to upload any events and activities they may be planning to mark the Jubilee. To upload your event go to The Queen's Platinum Jubilee 2022 website.

Newham Council wants to help local people, so they have set up The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Community Fund to help support community celebrations and Grant applications can be made up to a maximum of £500. Those receiving a grant will also receive a waiver of all non-statutory fees and charges such as road closures hire of council community venues and parks. 

Download and complete the application form at https://www.newham.gov.uk/community-parks-leisure/funding-community-projects-½.